Written for SATB Choir, unaccompanied, this piece is a setting of and Advent text by John Dalles based upon Mark 13:33-37. It will be premiered at the 2014 Christmas with the Basilica Choir Concert. Scores will be available for purchase after the premier.
Written May 11-2, 2014 for Chris Barletta and the Women’s Choir of Gateway High School in Kissimmee, Florida, with the first performance given at the Baccalaureate Mass at the end of May 2014. The text is by John Dalles and is included in the collection We Turn to God published by Wayne Leupold Editions.
The piece is scored for SSA with piano accompaniment. It is fairly easy and very tonal. Expected duration: c. 2’30”
Written May 9-10, 2014 for the Bel Canto Choir of Gateway High School under the direction of Chris Barletta. The text is by John Dalles. Music is scored for three part women’s choir with piano accompaniment. Intended for use at the Baccalaureate service at the end of the school year, the piece celebrates the success of graduation while looking forward to all the possibilities and challenges of the future.
Composed at the request of Dr. Carl MaultsBy, Director of Music/Organist at St. Richard’s Episcopal Church in Winter Park for a service of Evensong in commemoration of C.S. Lewis at Knowles Chapel on the campus of Rollins College. The text is a paraphrase of C.S. Lewis by John Dalles. While the piece is written in an advanced tonal language dividing into SATB, most of the composition is in unison or two-part. The audio below was generated by the Finale music notation program so does not reflect the registrations indicated for the organ.
The CD is here! Order yours now for delivery before Christmas!
The Basilica Choir sings Christmas favorites and new carols on their newest CD on Stemik records including God, We Would Hear the Angels Sing.
Now available on iTunes as well.
The complete list of music follows:
- Joy to the World (Isaac Watts/Lowell Mason, after Handel, arr. William Picher)
- Hodie Christus Natus Est (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
- Joseph Lieber, Joseph Mine (Michael Praetorius)
- It Came Upon the Midnight Clear (Edmund Sears/R.S. Willis, arr. William Picher)
- Blessed Be That Maid Marie (Trad. English 17th C., arr. Charles Wood)
- Rejoice in the Lord Always (Anon 16th C.)
- Gaudete (Anon. 16th c, arr. Brian Kay)
- God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen (Trad. English, 17th C., arr. William Picher)
- O Magnum Mysterium (Tomas Luis de Victoria)
- Ave Maris Stella (Trad. Russian, arr. Pavel Chesnokov, adapt. William Picher)
Morris Hudson, guest baritone soloist
- Ding Dong Merrily on High (G.R. Woodward, arr. Carolyn Jennings)
- Es ist ein Ros (Michael Praetorius)
- God, We Would Hear the Angels Sing (John A. Dalles/Wm. Glenn Osborne)
- What Child is This (Trad. English, arr. John Stainer)
- The Boar
A Christmas carol for SATB choir with some changing meter. Lyrics by John Dalles. Instrumental parts available upon request.
A Christmas carol for young voices (SAT) with lyrics by John Dalles. Based on the familiar tune HOLY MANNA. The audio below was generated by the Finale music notation program.