For the CFAGO Spooktacular, I decided to write a new piece for organ. Unfortunately, I was not able to record the performance at the Chapel at the Towers, so instead I decided to attempt a recording tonight (10/31/2013) after the vigil Mass for All Saints was over at Holy Redeemer. Because the organ console is in a pit at the front of the church, I often have people come speak to me while I’m playing, and tonight was no exception (c. 3″ in tonight). I hope you enjoy the piece and can look past any bobbles I might have made from the distractions. Happy Halloween!
Tag Archives: Recording
Basilica Choir Christmas CD
The CD is here! Order yours now for delivery before Christmas!
The Basilica Choir sings Christmas favorites and new carols on their newest CD on Stemik records including God, We Would Hear the Angels Sing.
Now available on iTunes as well.
The complete list of music follows:
- Joy to the World (Isaac Watts/Lowell Mason, after Handel, arr. William Picher)
- Hodie Christus Natus Est (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
- Joseph Lieber, Joseph Mine (Michael Praetorius)
- It Came Upon the Midnight Clear (Edmund Sears/R.S. Willis, arr. William Picher)
- Blessed Be That Maid Marie (Trad. English 17th C., arr. Charles Wood)
- Rejoice in the Lord Always (Anon 16th C.)
- Gaudete (Anon. 16th c, arr. Brian Kay)
- God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen (Trad. English, 17th C., arr. William Picher)
- O Magnum Mysterium (Tomas Luis de Victoria)
- Ave Maris Stella (Trad. Russian, arr. Pavel Chesnokov, adapt. William Picher)
Morris Hudson, guest baritone soloist
- Ding Dong Merrily on High (G.R. Woodward, arr. Carolyn Jennings)
- Es ist ein Ros (Michael Praetorius)
- God, We Would Hear the Angels Sing (John A. Dalles/Wm. Glenn Osborne)
- What Child is This (Trad. English, arr. John Stainer)
- The Boar
Fanfare on ‘National Hymn’
On Sunday, September 29, a new statue of St. Michael will be dedicated at the Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe. Discovering that there would be an additional procession of banners, music director Bill Picher asked if I would make a short fanfare arrangement of the tune “National Hymn’ to provide music for the extra procession. With only a few days to complete the project, I got to work as quick as I could. Until I get a live performance recording, here is the audio file generated by the Finale music notation program.
A Cappella Magic
This recording by the Basilica Choir and William Picher includes my composition Salve Regina. The piece was written specifically for them, and I was delighted that they chose to include it on their recording.
The CD is available for sale for $15 plus shipping and handling. It is also available at iTunes for immediate download here. This is the complete track list:
- Haec Dies (William Byrd)
- O Bone Jesu (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
- Verbum Caro Factus Est (Hans Leo Hassler)
- Alma Redemptoris Mater (Palestrina)
- Regina Caeli Laetare (Antonio Lotti)
- Riu, Riu, Chiu (Anon. Spanish)
- Exsultate Deo (Palestrina)
- I See His Blood Upon the Rose (Michael Bedford)
- At the Cross Her Station Keeping (13th cent., arr. Richard Proulx)
- Were You There? (Spiritual, arr. Harry T. Burleigh)
- Gabriel’s Message (Basque Carol, arr. Jonathan Rathbone)
- Ave Maria (Marshall Webb)
- Set Me As a Seal (René Clausen)
- Tota Pulchra Es (Maurice Duruflé)
- Hail Mary (William Picher)
- Hail Holy Queen (Salve Regina, arr. Derric Johnson)
- I Saw Three Ships (English Carol, arr. Marshall Webb)
- Salve Regina
- Deep River (Spiritual, arr. Norman Luboff)
- Ain’t-a that Good News (Spiritual, arr. William Dawson)
God, We Would Hear the Angels Sing
A Christmas carol for unaccompanied SATB choir. Lyrics by John Dalles. The piece is included on the recording “Christmas with the Basilica Choir.” and is also available on iTunes and may be heard on Spotify.